Re: [IRCA] AM x-band Utilities and Traveller Information Stations

Re: [IRCA] AM x-band Utilities and Traveller Information Stations

Saul, I can help you with a couple of your stations.

> 1622-5 SNN DC Washington - I have this in my log and
> memory tells me it was some kind of news service, or
> pirate mimicking a news service. Probably 1980s.

This was a legitimate operation.  I have it QSLed and the date was 20
February 1983.  The call listed on the QSL was WJZ-PB, which doesn't
sound right to me.  SNN is an abbreviation for Satellite News
Network.

The following are images of the PPC I received from them at the time.

http://qsl.philcobill.com/mw/usa/Satellite_News_Channel_1622.jpg

http://qsl.philcobill.com/mw/usa/Satellite_News_Channel_1622b.jpg

> 1700 MD Cambridge - Blackwater National Wildlife
> Refuge TIS heard a few years ago. Not listed in FCC
> database. Anyone know calls or other info?

This is a "joint" TIS.  It is operated at the Dorchester County,
Maryland Visitor Center which is located at the South end of the US
50 bridge that crosses the Choptank River in Cambridge.  There are
two messages looped on this TIS, one for Dorchester County and the
other for the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.  I asked the
person in charge at the visitor center about a license for the
transmitter and she did not know, but alluded to the fact that the
license might be held by the NWR.

You can find some pictures and a recording of this TIS at
http://www.philcobill.com/tis/cambridge_tis/  Be aware this is not a
fancy web page and is provided only for informational purposes. By
listening to the recording, you can get a better idea of what is
going on.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland