Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Extremely good SSS cx in WI

On Saturday 30 December 2006 00:41, saulamdx wrote:
> I'm not surprised about good SSS cx. Was in the car,
> in *downtown* Toronto, and had 990 CBW Winnipeg
> blasting in. Turned to 1290 and landed 1290 Winnipeg.
> The 1290 has been heard at Burnt River often enough,
> but usually around sunrise. Station jingle and oldies
> - pop. Dominating the channel. I had things to attend
> to or would have DXed longer. This was just before 6
> pm local time, while I was waiting for a free parking
> spot that opened at 6 pm... I don't think there are
> many complaints about this season...

Certainly no complaints from me!  TAs have been very poor this month (and, I
gather, TPs from the left coast), but that hasn't bothered me at all.  In
fact, December 06 has been the best DX month in terms of new loggings that
I've had in years, with 46 newies so far this month.  That compares with 16
in Nov, 22 in Oct, and 9 in Sept.  The Sept newies were nearly all TAs, while
those in Oct and Nov were nearly all to the west, with Oct particularly good
for deep west catches.  December has been completely different, with the
resurgence of LAs and those fantastic auroral conditions in mid-month that
filled the band with southern US stations.  Highlights for the month include
8 new ones from NC, and 6 from TN.  And I finally snagged WFLF-540 in FL a
couple of days ago - my nomination for the most widely-heard station in the
northeast that I'd never logged.  On the LA front, I logged new ones from
Honduras, Ecuador, Nicaragua (2), Venezuela, Cuba (5), and Mexico (4).

It's been a dandy season, from where I sit!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON