Re: [IRCA] Palisades Park

Great honk, Gil, as we say in Texas ... Freddy Cannon's "Palisades Park" was, if I remember correctly, a hit when I was part-timing as a weekend DJ at KNOE-540 in Monroe, La. That would be during the winter/spring of 1961-62. I was probably not the only pun-loving DJ who would refer to Freddy Cannon as "shooting off his mouth" during an intro or outro (back when radio guys thought it was a good service to the listeners to identify the song and the artist."

I had part-timed for the legendary Edd Routt during my junior year at West Texas State 1959-60 at KIXZ-940 in Amarillo, and, in 1961, after graduation and a brief turn away from media work, I became a claims rep with the Social Security Administration, got assigned to Monroe, La., and found Edd as GM at KNOE. Edd was still young enough to be a Jaycee at the time, hooked me up with the Monroe Jaycees, and KNOE ad salesman Jim Fuller and I had some fun on the Americanism and Government Committee, weasel-wording a resolution to be sent to the Kennedy Administration.

Lots of fun in our younger days. Still some fun today.

John Callarman (a k a -- @ KIXZ and KNOE -- Johnny Callan) KA9SPA, Krum TX