Re: [IRCA] WITH 1230 move to the Internet

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Now that sounds strange. I would think they would have more listeners on
> 1230. Maybe a sign of the future for others too? We can hope.

The 1230 facility's not going off the air. It's been sold to another
religious broadcaster, which operates WRBS-FM 95.1 in Baltimore, and
either is already back on the air as WRBS(AM), or will be very soon.

All that's happening here is Salem cashing out of a marginal market
where it only owned one station and had little hope of buying more to
create the sort of clusters it prefers to operate (like KPDQ AM/KPDQ
FM/KFIS FM/KTRO FM in Portland).

The back story here is that Salem had already pulled its news-talk
format (Bill Bennett, Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt, etc.) out of the DC
market a year or so ago, when it flipped WABS 780 to religious talk as
WAVA(AM). While that programming continued up the road in Baltimore on
WITH, Salem was already heavily promoting the "NewsTalkDC.com" webcast
as a way for DC-area listeners to hear the format. (The WITH signal
doesn't get into the DC market, day or night, with any kind of
listenability.)

So while Salem loses some over-the-air listeners by getting rid of the
WITH broadcast signal, it keeps the webcast listeners in DC, and pockets
some cash by selling the WITH license to WRBS, which will probably move
the religious spoken-word half of its programming to 1230 and turn 95.1
into full-time contemporary Christian music.