Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

Craig,

I'm no pilot, but it would seem a substantial portion of the trip would be
by dead reckoning in the dark, especially at the outset, if condx were
cloudy, with no way to determine if side winds were blowing them off
course.  Pilots could determine side wind drift by viewing ocean wave
patterns which would not be visible at night.  Also, even finding a signal
from HI at the beginning of the trip would have been a given based upon
distance.  Based on my  experience 30 years ago with a marine RDFin a 25'
boat, I was glad to replace it with a maunal Loran A even though it was the
size of wall safe, and I only had to contend with 80-100 miles of ocean to
cross.  There are fewer and fewer of these WWII era pilots left to even
ask.  I have a neighbor who navigated a B-24 for the Mighty Eighth during
WWII.  I'll see what he says, although they flew during the day.  W2DU, the
author of the article in QST, is 85 years old.

73, Gil NN4CW