then moved to 1020 and is supposed to next move to
590.  It appears that this thing is "authorized" and is the
result of feeding 10 kW of power into a new antenna.
- Jim Tonne   tonne at comcast.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Bmroziak@xxxxxxx
To: tonne@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: larrycampbell@xxxxxx
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: more on 590 antenna testing]

Jim,

Hi, this is Brian Mroziak, General Manager of WMBS 590AM in Uniontown.  How will this antenna testing affect us and why is it being done?  What times will be affected?  Please see the e-mail below we received as well as this seemed to have a very negative impact on KDKA.

Please provide more information.

Thanks..
Brian Mroziak
General Manager
WMBS Radio
44 S. Mt. Vernon Ave.
Uniontown, PA 15401
Phone:  724-438-3900
Fax:  724-438-2406

Hi,

I'm a DXer in Waynesburg. Has WMBS been notified of the following test?

>From approx 9:00 a.m. TUES 12/5 until 7:00 a.m. Friday 12/8, an
antenna-testing operation, located in the DC area, will be running a 1
KHz test tone from a 10 KW transmitter. The tester is unidentified, but
a Clear Channel engineer says that it is a planned test from
non-commercial (government) facilities.

Apparently, they are testing performance at the bottom, middle, and top
of the broadcast band, as they are testing on  590, 1020, and 1610 KHz.

This past week, they tested on 1020 KHz for several days, really
trashing KDKA's nighttime signal! KDKA was virtually unlistenable over a
large portion of the eastern US, including here in Waynesburg.

The 1 KHz test tone at full modulation from a 10 KW transmitter only a
couple of hundred miles distant may seriously interfere with WMBS's
nighttime signal.

I'm just curious: was WMBS notified of this test, and likely
intereference to your nightime signal for a 3-day period? The testing
seems to have caught everyone by surprise, making me think that neither
the tester nor the FCC notified statons that would suffer serious
interference.

Thank you,

Fred Schroyer
Freelance Science Writer / Editorial Consultant
955 Sixth Street - Waynesburg, PA 15370
(40 air mis S of Pittsburgh - 20 air mis N of Morgantown, WV)
Home 724-627-8844 - Work 304-599-7830 x 1120
freditor@xxxxxxxxxx