[IRCA] Tracking 1610 & Co. (Fred Schroyer)

[IRCA] Tracking 1610 & Co. (Fred Schroyer)

This 1610/1020/590 mystery is a lot of fun for us hobbyists. But I don't
inderstand why it has to be a mystery. If Kent Winrich knows the story, then
why doesn't everyone? What is so confidential about high-powered
transmission tests on the broadcast band in the United States, for heaven's
sake? That's about as public as testing can get, esp. when it is on the
frequency of one of America's premiere broadcast stations (KDKA). We're not
talking ultra-crypto paraphrastic modulation research on 19.7 tetrazinihertz
here! Nor are we talking New World Order storm troopers with their 1610 KHz
10 KW backpack transceivers prepping for their assault on Bermuda!

If it is "legal" testing, then the info must be posted somehwere, or
available from the FCC. And in the normal course of business, stations
likely to be interfered with would be given an advance email saying, "hey,
sorry, but we'll be jamming your signal for a few nights, and then we'll go
away, so lighten up." Approaching investigative reporters is a useful idea,
b/c they like to run with off-beat stories like this, and they'll do the
obvious: get on the phone & find out. They'll comb the net (search Google
news today for "radio" & you'll find "Military test jams garage door
openers"). They'll ask professionals in the field. As a science journalist,
I'd love to do that research for my hobby, but not now--I'm developing 3
science books, each a fulltime job.

For my little contribution, I emailed the CE at WMBS-590 Uniontown, PA (a
local for me), inquiring whether WMBS has received a notice of testing that
might impact their signal this coming TUES-FRI, since they are on 590.
That's a start. Others on the list, consider doing similar. Anyone have a
good contact at KDKA? Hey, if we can direction-find, we can fact-find!

Fred Schroyer
Freelance Science Writer / Editorial Consultant
955 Sixth Street - Waynesburg, PA 15370
(40 air mis S of Pittsburgh - 20 air mis N of Morgantown, WV)
Home 724-627-8844 - Work 304-599-7830 x 1120
freditor@xxxxxxxxxx