[IRCA] Tracking 1610 & Co.

I can only wonder if these broadcasts are the result
of too much discussion about Polonium 210 on the IRCA
list. If you don't hear from me in a week...

Anyhow, for those who really want to know...

Why not call a reporter or editor at the New York
Times, or local papers of affected stations, eg.,
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Also worth approaching the
broadcast trade magazines.

I think it would also very much be worth more than one
call to the FCC, to get something on the record. If
they tell you 'no comment' or 'we don't know', that
can be substantial, especially if or when it turns out
they do know. FOIA info access requests would be
worthwhile.

There's a group called Investigative Reporters and
Editors. Their members know how to access FOIA
requests, and maybe a staffer there can point you to a
couple good investigative journalists (at NY Times,
etc... but there are some good, dogged people at
smaller papers) who specialize in this sort of thing.

It is also worth contacting any stations that are or
might be significantly affected. Think of daytimers
close enough to the signal, or nightimers that might
experience hampered coverage. Talk with their NEWS
staff (if they have any).

This is also a good one for Coast to Coast, though I
see this lower on the order of priorities.

I'm kicking myself for assuming 1610 tone would be
with us a bit longer. Am in a work binge here, and
never got to the car radio. Tried 1020 last night
downtown and had a possible tone. Will try this
evening. 590 is blocked by a local.

I will post some basic info on one e-mail list where
some good U.S. reporters lurk.