Re: [IRCA] 1610 bearings - magnetic declination

Fred Schroyer wrote:
> I don't know how everyone is deriving their bearing angles...but if you are
> doing it crudely, like I am, with a portable receiver & a hand compass, you
> have to adjust for magnetic declination to get the true "map north" bearing.
> In my case, here in SW PA, the magnetic declination is 9 deg W.   9 deg can
> make a BIG difference over a distance. Declination varies widely with
> location; it's easy to find yours online. Whether you add or subtract the
> declination from your compass reading depends on where you are. This is a
> very signif potential source of error in our readings. And I can never
> remember whether to add or subtract it; have to figure it out each time!

I'm fortunate enough to live three houses from a major street that
happens to run due east/west...so for me, it was a simple matter of
lining up the radio with Elmwood Avenue to get my bearings! :-)

(It was even easier to align the Yagi on the roof...)