Re: [IRCA] Bert- Re: Where were you on 22 November 1963?

Re: [IRCA] Bert- Re: Where were you on 22 November 1963?

Sounds like she was a good ship...

The USS Ozark, named after an Indian tribe of the Quapaw confederacy living
in Missouri and Arkansas, was laid down as CM-7 (mine layer, first line) by
the Willamette Iron and Steel Corporation of Portland, Oregon, 12 July 1941.
She was launched 15 June 1942, re-designated transport AP-107 on 1 May 1943,
any yet again re-designated as landing ship vehicle LSV-2 on 21 April 1944,
and commissioned 23 September 1944. The Ozark was 458' long, had a 60' beam,
and was powered by twin General Electric, geared turbine drives producing
11,000 horsepower and a 20.3 knot cruising speed.

The Ozark saw action in the Pacific Theater of World War II, carrying troops
for the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, as well as other wartime
operations. After hostilities ceased, she participated in carrying
occupational troops into Tokyo Bay. Returning overseas troops to the U.S.
after the war, the Ozark transited the Panama Canal and arrived in New
Orleans 31 January 1946, where she was placed in upkeep status. She
commenced pre-inactivation overhaul in Orange, Texas, on 14 March and
decommissioned 29 June 1946.

The Ozark was again re-designated on 7 February 1955 from LSV-2 to MCS-2
(Catskill Class Mine Countermeasure Support Ship). After intermittent
service in the Mediterranean and South Atlantic, the USS Ozark was stricken
from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 April 1974, and designated as a target
ship on 1 September 1975. A few years later, a hurricane grounded the Ozark
on a local beach. After a monumental effort, the Ozark was pulled free and
eventually re-anchored off Destin.

Today, she rests upright and intact in 330' of water off Destin. The USS
Ozark is a massive wreck; the mast reaches to within 200' of the surface and
the crows nest can be found at 220'. The bow is heavily damaged, a result of
her collision with the seabed. Ripples are also obvious in the hull from the
impact. A hole in the deck is visible at the rear starboard corner of the
deck gun where one of the laser guided bombs penetrated the ship. The
rounded bridge is unique and makes a nice sight in good visibility. On my
first visit to the Ozark, I noted the intact running lights on both the port
and starboard sides. Artifacts abound within the interior. The main deck is
about 300'. Marine life is abundant on the wreck, with large numbers of
scamp, grouper, snapper, and amberjack swimming about. Deep water species
such as short bigeyes and snowy grouper can also be spotted amongst the
wreck. Fishing line covers the wreck.

Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!