[IRCA] New Antenna Fun

A new antenna can be a shot in the arm for DXing, and that certainly has been
the case here!  In the first month or so since installing my pennant antenna,
I've logged 25 new stations (26 if I include a tentative).  The pennant has
the classic dimensions (14 x 29 x 29 ft), with a fixed 900 ohm termination
and the lowest point is about 6 ft off the ground.  It favors the west
(nominal null direction is ESE), but the directionality is modest, certainly
not in the beverage/BOG class - so it comes as a bit of a surprise that all
but one of the new catches is either west or southwest of me.

In case anyone is interested, here's the list of newies:

 580 MI WTCM  (under local powerhouse CFRA)
 590 MI WJMS
 650 WY KGAB
 770 AB CHQR
 770 NM KKOB
 860 OR KPAM  (tentative)
 910 WI WDOR
 910 AB CKDQ
 960 MN KLTF
1040 BC CKST
1060 AB CKMX  (previously tentative)
1060 MN KFIL
1070 CA KNX
1070 WV WIWS
1070 MN KVKK
1090 ON CBON12  (40W repeater)
1130 BC CKWX
1180 IL WSQR
1180 MI WXLA
1350 MN KDIO
1360 VA WWWJ
1360 WI WVRQ
1360 IL WLBK
1390 MN KRFO
1520 OH WDMN
1700 MX XEPE

Also, plenty of good relogs, such as KTNN, KOMO, CFFR and CHQT.

On the negative side, the new antenna picks up plenty of noise, as it's in a
tiny inner city back yard and is right next to the house - no cure for that
other than moving - but it obviously is doing a reasonable job in spite of
that.  I like to think the guy with the headphones on, twiddling the knobs,
has something to do with it too. :-)

Encouraged by this success, I've just put up a second pennant, this time with
a SSW null direction and remotely adjustable termination based on Mark
Connelly's design.  Due to space limitations, it crosses over the other
pennant at its midpoint, more or less at right angles.  Looks kinda weird...
the neighbors must really be wondering!  Early results are encouraging,
though there is a residual noise floor after achieving deep nulls that tends
to kill weak signal reception.  This antenna would really shine in a quiet
location!

Barry, hoping for a return to A = K = 0 soon

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON

-------------------------------------------- DX mailing list DX@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/dx _______________________________________________ THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE IS FREE. It may be copied, distributed and/or modified under the conditions set down in the Design Science License
published by Michael Stutz at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/dsl.html

published by Michael Stutz at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/dsl.html