[IRCA] Worst Since Early August

Wow,

It was a classic bad part of an auroral event.  Usually our dawn East
Asian signals just skim past the auroral oval, with the more westerly
(inland China)ones coming closest to the oval and the more easterly
ones from Japan further from hitting the oval.  I'll bet that the
auroral oval is substantially larger today.... China was G*O*N*E,
Korea was Almost GONE and Japan was barely there.  Like Walt, I only
had 9 in audio only 747, 774, 828 and 873 being strong enough to be
sure that the were NHK... and some of those by paralleling. Walt's
more detailed report shows that he heard more hets, by far, than I
did.... don't really understand that.... in theory, I have the better
location and the bigger antennas (until Walt goes to his place in the
Queen Charlotte Islands.... then....

ANYWAY, the conditions did let me concentrate on trying out my new
Misek/Lankford/Ratzlaff phaser and it sure is nice.  It does really
help open up some of the "Zones of Death" near the awful Vancouver
powerhouses  (phasing 600 really helps with 594, hitting 650 actually
helps eliminate QRM on 675 Viet Nam, etc.) The most fun so far was
phasing down KCBS on 740... a coastal effect powerhouse here.... and
hearing CBX, Edmonton very well.  I paralleled CBX up with their
internet somewhat delayed "live" internet feed.  Oh, what high tech
fun!!! Its easier to phase out things in the lower band than the
upper, but I can do both and, as I remember, its almost alw3ays
easier to phase at the bottom of the dial than at the top...  VERY
nice unit.  Wil report a bit more on the phaser later today.

JOhn B.