[IRCA] DX Test Results KEVA 1240 Evanston WY

[IRCA] DX Test Results KEVA 1240 Evanston WY

In what is becoming an annual event, Michael J. Richard of KEVA conducted
another
DX Test on October 23rd, 2006.

While we didn't have the nearly perfect conditions that allowed last
season's coast to
coast receptions, this year's test still allowed a number of lucky DX'ers to
pull
in this graveyard giant! Our special thanks again to Michael J. Richard! He
not only has conducted these tests, but worked tirelessly to arrange the
upcoming Montana DX tests (along with other members of ABDX!), so
we all owe him a lot. Here we go:

Frank Aden of Boise, Idaho started off the reports, logging the sweep tones
and code almost
immediately after the test started, shortly after Midnight Mountain Time.
Mike Hawkins of
Campbell, California joined in next, followed by reports from Tim Hall of
San Diego,
Martin Foltz of Mission Viejo, and Mike Sanburn in Bellflower, CA.

Tom Kraft of Billings, MT used a Kenwood R600 and the all mighty Kiwa Loop
pull the test in "easily", and Terry Keyowski of Regina, Saskatchewan noted
how
helpful the "sweep tones" were in logging the test from his location over
800 miles
away.

Kevin Redding logged this one from Gilbert, AZ using only the CCRadio
portable
with no problem. While Phil Bytheway of Seattle, WA forgot to turn on his
recorder!
His paper log details were first rate though, allowing enough for a
successful
reception report.

But as Steely Dan observed, "they've got a name for the winners in the
world, and I
want a name when I lose"---so many of us went to bed disappointed this year.
Among
them were John Wilke of Greenfield, WI, Doug Pifer of Albany, OR, and your
editor, Les Rayburn of Helena, AL.

Bob Foxworth of Tampa, FL reported "not a peep" of the test from his shack,
but Willis in Old Fort, TN reported a "possible reception" with some mystery
tones
and bits of Morse Code.

Bert New of Watkinsville, GA also heard the "mystery tones" and fast Morse
Code---
He reported that the sweep tones sounded similar to those used in past
tests...but
couldn't claim the logging just yet.

The news was all bad for Paul LaFreniere of Grand Marais, MN, who listened
for
the entire test without success. Barr McLarnon who usually hears pin drops
from his shack in the Great White North, couldn't pull this one out. Doug
Smith,
another DX'er with a top notch shack failed to log this one as well from
Nashville.

Joe Miller, who has done the wonderful designs for many of the DX test QSL
cards this year, tried without success for this one too. His Troy, MI shack
proven to be just too far away this year. Dave Hochfelder of Highland
Park, NJ also felt the "agony of defeat" this time around.

SOAPBOX
==================================
Those sweep tones cut through everything!
-Mike Hawkins, Campbell, CA

KEVA 1240 heard on DX test, heard sweep tones, code IDs and a telephone busy
signal.
-Martin Foltz, Mission Viejo, CA

Not sure if I am hearing the KEVA test. At 0205 I heard a high pitch noise,
perhaps a sweep tone. At 0225 a short bust of CW.
I did log a new station WFOY in Florida.
-Willis, Old Fort, TN

It was heard quite easily here in Billings, Mt with code and sweep tones.
The only challenge is local
KMZK also on 1240.
-Thomas Kraft, Billings, MT

I heard the last test (2005) fairly well, but my "local" on 1240 seems to be
the king
on the frequency tonight, as it usually is.
-Doug Pifer, Albany, OR

Last night the KEVA DX test boomed into Southern CA!!!  What a treat, I have
logged them here
before but this one is always welcome here.
-Mike Sanburn, Bellflower, CA

KEVA test heard near Yorkton, Saskatchewan on Sunday (1271 km/800miles).
Heard sweep tones, morse ID, and "off-hook" beeps for over two hours
breaking through the "sludge" on 1240.  No voice heard, either from KEVA or
any other station on that frequency.  This was the first time I heard sweep
tones on a DX test, and it sure did help.
-Terry Keyowski, Regina, Saskatchewan

I figured it would be a long shot from New Jersey...
Thanks to everyone who put the test together though!
-Dave Hochfelder, Highland Park, NJ

I listened for an hour (then fell asleep).
I heard many sweep tones... but only a couple spurts of code.
A shame I didn't have my recording set-up.
-Phil Bytheway, Seattle WA

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867