Re: [IRCA] Airwaves Canada! - Canadian Radio Stations

Re: [IRCA] Airwaves Canada! - Canadian Radio Stations

> http://www.toronto.hm/radio.html
>
> from a server in the Heard and McDonald Islands (.hm), links to most
> Canadian broadcasters on FM and what's left of them on AM.
>

> 73
>
> Mike Brooker
> Toronto, ON

Heard Island? I doubt it. Here's why.

1. Heard is one of those places so remote that, in order
for hams to contact it, expeditions have to go there, and
this happens maybe once every 10 - 15 years. I had
contacted it (VK0CW) in 1984 when an expedition went there.
There was another one in the 1990's. It is somewhat
close to Kerguelen, in the south Indian ocean, itself quite
remote. Kerguelen itself is home to a French Naval
weather station, no doubt manned by volunteers,
and a few million penguins and seals. But no tourists.

In a spirit of egalitarian democracy, just about every place
in the world was given a TLD (top-level-domain) name.
Actually having an internet presence is another matter. It
is my understanding that many of these smaller places
have found a revenue stream by selling namespace in
their domains. So, the computer talkshow host John Manzo,
reachable at johnmanzo.tv, does not really have to be
in the republic of Tuvalu (mid-pacific) and some companies
whose names end in .nu aren't really on Niue Island, etc.

Doing a ping to the name, above, resolves the name to IP
216.185.128.200 and a traceroute to that IP from Tampa
is 12 hops, most of it going through the backbone provider
Level3, then to Affinity.com, ending with the IP, above, resolving
to "cluster01.ahp01.lax.affinity.com" which I would then _guess_
is a virtual server hosting machine* in Los Angeles, from
where I'd bet connectivity is a lot better than it would be
from Heard Island. *(one machine IP can host many websites)

This has nil to do with whatever is actually on that web site,
doesn't really matter. But I had to comment on the "server
on Heard Island" aspect of all this.

BTW, Affinity is based in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Why not call them
and ask?

73  - Bob                  2318 est