Re: [IRCA] phasing

> I've been reading the phasing posts with interest, to make a long story
> short I recently moved my radios to another room much closer to my 2 400'
> LW's  and find that the antennas with the much shortened coax leads are
> overloading my Quantum Phaser with it's untuned front end unless I turn
the
> 10-15 db internal amp control almost down to nothing which actually leaves
> me with very low S meter readings and not a lot of signal. My radios work
> fine without the Phaser with these same antennas with no overloading and
> much higher signal strengths.
> Does anyone here use or know of any phasers which can be used with LW's
like
> this or even Beverage antennas with no overloading, or perhaps a way of
> cutting some of the signal down before it hits the Phaser? Or maybe even
> tuned traps to filter out strong locals? Thanks

It's interesting that shortening the coax brough problems.  Most coax has a
very low loss at AM BCB freqencies.  Have you tried simply adding the coax
back to the feed and coiling it up under the bench?

The Quantum phaser uses the amplifier for two purposes.  First is obviously
to boost the signal.  The second is to present a very high impedence to the
phasing circuit.  This seems to smooth out the level changes as the phase
knob is turned.  Like any amp, this has a limited headroom.

There are a couple of possibilities.  Have you tried dropping each of the
input levels to the halfway point?  That may do what you need.

I have made a two-section notch filter to use in my truck.  When parked
right next to a tower, it makes a big difference.  It was simple to build.
I think I wrote up a description of it recently.  That would only help with
your 830 problem though.

If you can find a passive phaser and then add an external high quality
amplifier like a DX Engineering RPA-1 I think you'll be fine.  It is
possible to modify the Quantum, but I'm not sure I would.  It'd be better to
find another.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI