Re: [IRCA] Tips for TP reception EAST of the Rockies? (i.e. in Missouri)

Re: [IRCA] Tips for TP reception EAST of the Rockies? (i.e. in Missouri)

Randy:

	First a little background. In the past, I mean in the 1950's and
before, transpacific receptions on the East Coast were not at all
uncommon, especially the stuff from Down Under. Then the bands became
congested with more stations on the air and the stations going 24/7.
That said, the signals are still making it to the East Coast, but are
being covered up by our domestics.

	There is a DXer, I don't recall his name right off hand who lives on
the Gulf side of Florida who has picked up several stations from Down
Under on the MW Band.  Here in Maryland, I have had carriers, but no
audio, from stations on 738, 774, 1017, and 1098, which I suspect are
from Down Under.

	The more northerly Asians are a bit problematic.  HLAZ 1566 is
certainly possible in Missouri, if conditions are just right and so
is VOA Thailand on 1575. The Japanese NHK blow torches are also
possible.  I have had carriers from both of them as well as a handful
of others here in Maryland.  I understand that HLAZ has been heard in
Texas, but I could be wrong. John Bryant from Oklahoma could tell you
if he has heard any TPs in OK. There is no reason that they can not
be heard there. When I DXed in Utah, I had nights where the band was
full of audio and hets from stations in Asia from one end of the band
to the other.

	I think the best thing to do would be to carefully watch the solar
indices and if things are quiet, just camp on a frequency or two and
see what pops up, you might be surprised.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland