[IRCA] DX Update From Northern Delaware (the magic that is phase nulling)

[IRCA] DX Update From Northern Delaware (the magic that is phase nulling)

DX update from northern Delaware:

Three new ones on medium wave plus a long wave catch for kicks.

21-Oct-06 // 2358 local // 1230 khz. // WODI // 1 kw // Brookneal, Virginia
// Scheduled DX test. Approx. 15 seconds of very faint Morse code W-O-D-I
IDs over GY rumble followed by about 70 seconds of faint but obvious sweep
tones. The test was apparently a few minutes early (originally scheduled
for midnight 10-22-06 east coast time). // New. A 257 mile catch. Many
thanks to all who arranged this DX test!!!

MP3 clip available here:

http://www.21centimeter.com/21centimeter/Recordings/1230-khz_2358-Local_10-21-06_WODI_Brookneal_VA_DX-Test.mp3

22-Oct-06 // 0006 local // 1230 khz. // WENY // 1 kw // Elmira, New York //
Man faintly above GY rumble "...weeknights at 6...news talk 1230 and
1450...WENY." // New. A 172 mile catch. The 1450 refers to sister station
WENI in Corning, NY.

MP3 clip available here:

http://www.21centimeter.com/21centimeter/Recordings/1230-khz_0006-Local_10-22-06_WENY_Elmira_NY.mp3

For kicks, I later scanned the LW band and found the presumed Radio France
Inter coming in well. (I also managed to snag a new NDB - YXR, Earlton,
Ontario, on 257 khz.)

22-Oct-06 // 0211 local // 162 khz. // Radio France Inter // 2000 kw //
Allouis, France // Man talking in French. // New.

MP3 clip available here:

http://www.21centimeter.com/21centimeter/Recordings/162-khz_0211-Local_10-22-06_France_Inter.mp3

To close out this early morning DX session, I decided to use my Quantum
Phaser to see what might lie under some of the 50 kw blowtorches. Once
again Gerry Thomas’s wonderful phasing device proved its worth and
demonstrated the magic that is phase nulling. More specifically, after a
few minutes of scanning around the MW band, I settled on 780 khz for some
reason and, of course, WBBM was screaming in. A few turns of the
amplitude/phasing knobs (I phased an ~160' E-W directed wire against a
vertical whip) and WBBM was phase nulled into almost oblivion revealing
country music. A minute or two later, I was rewarded with the below:

22-Oct-06 // 0247 local // 780 khz. // CFDR // 15 kw night // Halifax, Nova
Scotia // End of country music song then male "CFDR 780 AM Halifax...780
Kicks, classic country". // New. A 699 mile catch (with WBBM phase nulled).

MP3 clip available here:

http://www.21centimeter.com/21centimeter/Recordings/780-khz_0247-Local_10-22-06_CFDR_Halifax_Nova-Scotia.mp3

Sadly, I did not receive any indication of the KEVA DX test.

Regards,

-Peter Jernakoff-
K3KMS
Wilmington, Delaware