Re: [IRCA] Dump AM IBOC, Move the AM Band, re:HDTV comment

--- Tim Kridel <tkridel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure they will, but there are at least two reasons why the deadline
> won't
> get postponed again: Congress and taxpayers want the auction revenue
> from
> when that spectrum is refarmed, and Congress has already set aside a
> couple
> billion to subsidize converters.

That's what Congress and the FCC and the industry want people to think.
Most taxpayers don't know anything about the revenues from sale, and as
for subsidies, those who won't get them will still be angry. The people
who will get the subsidies will find that they won't cover the full
costs of replacement sets or converters, and then they'll be angry too.
And the majority of the revenue which isn't used for subsidies will go
somewhere the majority of the public probably won't see nor benefit
from. In other words, your typical government /industry collaboration.

I'm still not betting against another extension.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID