[IRCA] Results of WNJC 1360 DX Test

QSL's for this test have been electronically sent and mailed via US Postal Service on 10/18/2006. If you do not receive your QSL in a timely manner, please send an e-mail directly to me:

les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our thanks to Joe Miller, noted DX'er who designed the QSL card for this event.

RESULTS OF WNJC 1360khz DX Test

WNJC 1360khz, Vineland, NJ

Test Date: October 1st, 2006

4KW, Non-Directional Pattern

Again, our special thanks to John "Duke" Hamann for arranging this test! You put New Jersey into the log books of quite a few DX'ers!

First report of the test arrived only minutes after it started. Bob Antoniuk of Clifton, NJ who logged not only WNJC, but also the WODI 1230khz test from Brookneal, VA (which stated at the same time) Both were pulled in on his stock Sony 2010.

Other reports followed including Russ Johnson of Lexington, NC, Les Rayburn of Helena, AL (NJ #1),  and Bert New of Watkinsville, GA. Bert reported this as the first logging of a Garden State station for him as well.

Rene Tetro logged the test from his shack in Lansdale, PA, as did Joe Miller in Troy, Michigan. Our neighbors to the North also heard the test signals with Jerry Coatsworth of Merlin, Ontario, Canada reporting reception of both WNJC and WODI.

Other lucky DX'ers included Bill Dvorak of Madison, WI, Jim Pogue of Memphis, TN, and J.D. Stephens of Hampton Cove, Alabama.  Vermont was added to the list of states receiving the test with a successful report from Steve Howe in St. Albans. Rick Shaftan of NW New Jersey reported the test, "Blowing through his local".

Others in the Northeast also pulled in this regional test, including Paul Walker, Jr in Dover, NH who's helped set up quite a few tests lately.and DX'er Roy Barstow (Old Roy) who caught WNJC "about equal to WDRC".

Richard Line of Sterling Heights, MI used a Drake R8B and a N/S 100 foot wire to pull the test in,  while Curt Degan relied on his trusty Ten Tec RX-320D and an LF Engineering active whip to log this one from Boca Raton, FL.

Another Drake owner, Dave Hochfelder of Highland Park, NJ used a Kiwa Loop antenna to log this, while Willis Monk used the classic Drake R4-C and a longwire to snag the test from his home in Old Fort, Tennessee. Others hearing the test were John J. Rieger, of  South Milwaukee,WI, Bill Bergadano of Colts Neck, NJ, and Greg Harris of Park Forest, IL.

The test represented the first logging of New Jersey for many, including Greg Myers of Largo, FL. He reported the stations easily heard despite a strong het on 1359 which was reported by many. Also success in their attempts were Brett Saylor of Central PA, Dave Pyatt of Burlington, Ontario, and Carl Mann of Omaha, NE.

No surprise that the test was heard by Barry McLarnon of Ottawa. WNJC is a semi-local, and past tests have proven that Barry can hear a pin drop on a graveyard station 2000 miles away! And (YAWN) Neil Kazaross "KAZ" pulled them in as well from his shack in Barrington, IL. For this pair, DX Tests amount to training wheels.

A. McKay of Ontario, Canada logged the test using a DX-394 receiver and a 50 foot wire, while Allan Loudell used a YB-400 with only it's internal antenna to pull the test in from Delaware. Others logging the test included Gerry Bishop of Niceville, FL, Tom Jasinski of Shorewood, IL, and Tim Noonan of Oak Creek, WI.

Reports flowed in from folks like Steve Francis of Alcoa, TN, Larry Russell of Flushing, MI, and Phillip Chiello of Elm Grove, WI. The mail brought reports from R.C. Watts of Louisville, KY, and William Wilkins of Springfield, MO. That brings the totals to 16 states that logged the test, and some folks in Canada too! Great way to start the DX Season!

Most unusual was the complete lack of "negative" reports this time around, though we're sure that someone out West must have tried for the test without success.

SOAPBOX

Great copy on the WNJC DX test here in North Carolina. The Morse Code was easy to read.  Kudos for the various tones and signals.  Got a great recording of it.

-Russ Johnson, Lexington, NC

My first NJ station! Thanks to all those involved for making it happen.

-Bert New, Watkinsville, GA

Surprised to get both these Northeasterners [WNJC & WODI] with the A index at 15.

-J.D. Stephens, Hampton Cove, AL

Thanks very much for coordinating this test!  The sweep tones and Morse IDs came through great.  Even though WNJC is close, I haven't heard them at night before, so thanks for running the test.

-Dave Hochfelder, Highland Park, NJ

The sweep tones and tone mod CW cut through the interference.  My receiver is an Icom R75.  My antenna is a homebrew hula hoop loop coax fed to a MFJ956 ATU.  The loop is indoors (I'm in a condo) hanging in a window.

-Greg Harris, Park Forest, IL

Test heard here easily with sweep tones at tune in, 0010 EDT, and like
others nice loud het on 1359 (which I believe was the Jacksonville
station that has been off freq. in the past). Many thanks to those
involved in the test- first NJ from here.
-Greg Myers, Largo, FL

WNJC reaches Omaha, Nebraska. . .

In most of the night with only sweep tones and Morse code IDs clearly audible
in the mix, though poor by 3am. Thanks for the opportunity to hear this station.
-Carl Mann, Omaha, NE

WNJC is New Jersey station #7 heard from here.
-Tom Jasinski, Shorewood, IL

WNJC heard easily over 1kHz tone or het with sweep tones, step tones, Morse Code, and many fun sounds such as the 20th Century-Fox fanfare and the Final Jeopardy music.  Don't think I've heard them since their frequency check days (nights?) of yore.

 -Steve Francis, Alcoa, Tennessee

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867