Re: [IRCA] Dump AM IBOC, Move the AM Band, re:HDTV comment

Re: [IRCA] Dump AM IBOC, Move the AM Band, re:HDTV comment

I think that most consumers don't care about audio quality, but they do care
about video quality, perhaps because the latter is more noticeable. For
example, consumers love MP3 players and their ilk, even though they usually
don't provide the ultimate in fidelity, due to factors such as compression
and ear buds. As a result, HD radio is a tough sell. But it's tough for them
to overlook the difference between SD and HD TV, especially when they're
side-by-side in a retailer showroom, or even when it's just an HD set by
itself in a friend's house.

On the audio side, I also think that consumers value selection above
everything, even fidelity. They like MP3 players because they choose the
playlist, while sat radio subs are attracted by the variety that the can't
get from terrestrial radio. Audio quality is a side issue, if they even
think about it all. So again, HD radio is a tough sell.

My two favorite AM and FM stations are rim shots. I put up with static
crashes, ignition noise and picket fencing because their programming is
worth the hassle. Sure, I'd prefer to have them in CD-quality sound, but
I'll put up with the weak signals rather than listen to a strong local that
plays music that doesn't interest me. For me, the decision about whether to
buy an HD radio boils down to multicasting, such as a couple of channels of
jazz or classic country, both which currently aren't available in this
market.