[IRCA] Ionospheric Chug Hole over Orcas Island: Oct 10 TPs

[IRCA] Ionospheric Chug Hole over Orcas Island: Oct 10 TPs

Well, I don't know what to think.  Vroom and Hall-Patch report more
or less "best ever at this location" and I had decided to
characterize my own morning DX CX as half-way between "Average" and
"Good." I just don't know what to think..... I did have 57 channels
that produced some sort of audio this morning.... and maybe a few
more than normal were at really listenable levels, but it certainly
wasn't all that great, compared to other mornings here.... course, I
may still be comparing somewhat to Grayland, where this would be a
below average showing, still.... Beats the heck outta me!

There were several really good signals this morning, I'll admit. 936
Anhui was really walking tall... and, I might note that they seem to
have changed their programming emphasis in the last year.  Last fall,
I heard them rather regularly and they IDed in EE quite often as
"Radio Anhui" and had some EE programming (news, for one thing) in
their evenings.  So far this year, despite multiple loggings, I've
only heard standard CC. 738 was a furball most of the opening, but
the Korean really dominated late. The CRI Russian Service on
963//1323 was especially strong on both channels, as was 1206 low,
the CRI KK Service and 1377 CNR1. VOA 1575 at times sounded as if it
was broadcasting at 50 kW from Portland. Beyond those, my loggings
were distinctly average as to both stations heard and strength of signals.

Thanks to Patrick, Chuck and the Internet, I did clear up my mystery
station on 1188, first heard this year at Grayland last week. They
both suggested that it probably was the "other" FEBC station in Korea
(Inchon) which now broadcasts a lot in CC.  I didn't think that what
I had heard was standard CC..... However, it peaked briefly here near
1430 (right at my band fade) and I paralleled it with the HLKX "live"
feed over the internet.  The internet was about 3 seconds behind,
but, it was clearly the same piano mx piece from both sources.  The
language was standard CC and I'm fairly convinced that was what I was
hearing at Grayland.  Unfortunately, I QSLed them several years ago.
Thanks to you both for the help.

Yes, I've already been out and checked my antennas :>)

John B.