[IRCA] CKDO report-back

Well, Rolle and Ilpo (of Finland) were the farthest
callers last night.

I had as much fun as all of you, but without a radio!
I was in the studio, and with the station owner,
program director and several on-air hosts took the
call. We all knew that CKDO had already been received
in Scandinavia in the past few weeks, but you can
imagine what effect this call had on station owner and
staff at the tail end of a day-long celebration of the
station's 60th anniversary. The smiles were priceless.
Patrick Martin of Oregon was our second-farthest
caller. We were also heard in Norway, per the e-mail
reprinted below.

My intent last night was to be at the station for the
tail end of the party and the start of the DX program,
and expected to watch from the sidelines - and
perhaps, if lucky, say a few quick words about the
hobby and the clubs. Well, I ended up in there for the
full show.

I was able to let our listeners know about many of the
clubs - NRC, IRCA, WTFDA, ODXA, even MARE, and rather
than announce a million web sites I directed listeners
to the ANARC web site and also suggested Googling the
club names, to find out more.

I am glad to see the broadcast got out as well as it
did. The station decided to stick to basic morse code
and not air the sweep tones. They created a digital
'cart' with the code following a full legal ID,
explanation of the program, and toll-free phone
number, and this ran on the half hour. They did not
run sweep tones - my guess is this was seen as a
program about DX and DXers, and decidedly not a test,
and thye spaeredf the local listeners the screeching
sound of such tones. I can appreciate that. I am not
sure what cw or continuous wave sound like, but to my
knowedge they only aired morse code. Please correct me
if I am wrong. A couple of you mentioned hearing CW...

Please send your reports directly to the station. Its
web site is www.ckdo.ca, e-mail is ckdo@xxxxxxx

While in one sense I have lost 1580, a fairly open
frequency, and never did log a couple stations I
really hoped to catch, the frequency was beginning to
sound like a graveyard channel thanks to all the newer
low-power outlets. Besides, I now have 1350 to play
with, and we all have a station that is extremely DXer
friendly that a lot of us can hear. I really hope this
won't be the last DX event on CKDO, and I plan to keep
in touch with management and some of the staff. For
all the stations that don't give a whit about local, I
am really impressed with this one.

I would ask that you give a month or so for QSLs, and
if nothing comes by mid-November to let ME know. The
station is planning to have cards printed up. So
please be patient.

My thanks to Wayne Plunkett (not on these lists), who
solf the station on the idea, and Les rayburn and Doug
Smith for supplying taped 'DX Test' content. And to
all of you for passing on word (the program got
extensive pre-publity well beyond the lists where I
posted the info. Thanks to the station personnel, for
airing this event and being such great hosts. And,
thanks to all of you who DXed CKDO and phoned in
and/or e-mailed the station.

Saul