[IRCA] Grayland Report - October 6

Hi.  I'm here in Grayland with Chuck,  Steve, .Nick, & Bill somewhere nearby.

I finally have a wireless internet connection at the Grayland Motel.  In this case it's with my laptop, a GSM phone and a 12 db yagi mounted atop a 12 foot pole (the nearest cell site is a few miles from here).  It's a slow connection but it works and I only have to go as far as the parking lot to use it.  The next best alternative is the grassy knoll between the motel building and the beach,  where I have coverage with a "barefoot" Blackberry.  After that,  you have to do like John did and start looking for wi-fi hotspots.

That's what1900 MHz DX is like at Grayland.  Now on to the 1 MHz DX.

Last night was quite good.  There were no Alaskans heard during the evening and no sign of the CKDO program on 1580 (too much KGAL).  However Nick and Steve managed to catch France on 162 and 216 after the rest of us hit the sack.

Down unders weren't all that great except for French on 729 at 1005 UT which I assume was New Calendonia.  Otherwise there were just a few DUs like 612 1548 & 792 Aussies and Tahiti.

Japanese were plentiful.  All the big NHK & commercial stations were there, plus a few lesser heard ones like 1467 NHK & 1071/1197//1440

Bill's knowledge of Korean helped us pick out several  South Koreans that would have otherwise gone unnoticed like 1008 1314 & 774 plus a couple others.  We also bagged North Korea on 999.  We also chased CNR outlets and heard several,  including 540 756 945 1161 639 1008 & 990.  Nothing from SE Asia except VOA-1575.

1044 was a battle between China & South Korea.

1035 was wild at times with 3-4 stations mixing.

Also a mystery station on 1179.  It sounds like a Chinese dialect other than Mandarin mixing with JOOR.  Chuck and I also heard it when we were here just before the convention but I can't begin to guess who it might be.

I'll hopefully have another report tomorrow.

Bruce