Re: [IRCA] "CBS Radio Networks Channel 44" blown automation on 1340 in the west

R. F. Tetro wrote:
> To follow up on Scott's excellent expansion on my earlier comments.  One
> important thing to note that I alluded to but didn't specifically say is
> that the CBS and Westwood One systems are one and the same.  They are
> both co-owned and use the same transponder.  A number of the Starguide
> channels on that transponder are CBS and others are considered Westwood
> One.  It's all really the same thing though - just different channels on
> the same transponder.  ABC, on the other hand uses a different
> transponder, as does Clear Channel and Premiere (which similarly share
> transponder space on Starguide.  By the way, the Starguide systems in
> question all use satellite AMC-8 (the old Satcom C5) which is located at
> 139 degrees W longitude.

Good heavens! I completely forgot about the third major commercial
satellite delivery system, from CC/Premiere. Thanks for the reminder on
that one, Rene!

The key point here, I think, is that the CBS/Westwood One satellite
system also hosts many non-CBS/Westwood services, such as Fox News, Air
America and many more. Because so many services are fed via the CBS/WW1
satellite, almost ANY station that carries satellite-delivered
programming of any sort - even if it's not CBS/Westwood One's own
programming - is likely to have a Starguide receiver capable of being
tuned to "CBS Radio Networks, Channel 44."

As soon as I hear anything back from my contact in master control there
about what was on 44 over the weekend - and about whether a receiver not
explicitly authorized for CBS/WW1 services could be tuned to 44 - I'll
post it to the list.