Re: [IRCA] Talking house on 1630 ruining DX on channel

Re: [IRCA] Talking house on 1630 ruining DX on channel

Bill,

You probably know all this, but just to be thorough I'll go through it
anyway.

What you might be hearing is what has been termed a Sub Audible Het
(SAH).  Two carriers so close in frequency they don't produce a typical het
with a high enough frequency for a human to hear, hence sub audible.  The
result is a fluctuating signal strength as the two carriers interfere with
each other, like the old dueling ripples on a pond routine.  Same thing as
a normal het, except since you can't really hear the tone, what you do
perceive is the varying audio level.

The Wobbler is different in that it is the carrier of the Cuban station
that is fluctuating in frequency, which accounts for the affect not being
constant as you describe your local talking house.  As the wobbling station
carrier fluctuates, it produces a varying het against any other stations or
your receiver BFO.

We have a local TIS/MIS which uses synchronized transmitters across town
from each other to assure coverage.  Only problem is their off by nearly 30
Hz.  Where I am I hear both transmitters and the resulting rapidly chugging
audio is infuriating.  At times the discrepancy has become bad enough the
SAH turns into a very low AH -- Audible Het -- when heard on an audio
system with a sub-woofer.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan