Re: [IRCA] [am] Wire..

> You've probably heard my story on this. 700 feet strung SSE on the ground
in
> a park with my Palstar R-30. My initial reaction was: " This antenna
stinks! I
> can't hear anything on it!" Then I ran across Turks and Caico's on 1620
all
> alone and well over S9.

Oyez.  That's why I have bids on wire on eBay..  I need to check my maps and
figure exactly what the azimuth is so I know what to look for.  Later when
the leaves are off the trees I'd bet I could run well over a thousand feet
out, and a shorter parallel wire to phase the back end stuff out.  I wonder
what the best ratio of long to short wire is?

And, I just finished building a two stage notch filter.  At 550 it drops
WDDZ down well over 30db.  Top end seems to be only 20db, but that's still
good.  Coupled with a preselector, I probably could DX right next to a
tower..

I have the Palstar mounted in the truck.  There's an antenna switch so I can
choose either of two loops mounted 90 degrees to each other, or a 68"
vertical on the roof.  The BOG can go in the 4th port on the switch.  I
still need to make a 9:1 transformer and a ground radial system for the near
end.

I'll carry all this around in the truck.  I do have a day in October when I
will be overnighting on Martha's Vineyard.  There are no local stations, and
the semi-locals are miles away.  From the southeast corner of the island,
you can hear a lot of stuff.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI