Re: [IRCA] Sunday TPs

At 06:52 AM 9/17/2006, Steve Ratzlaff wrote:

>Asian TP reception was noticeably poorer this morning, with a couple heard
>around 1230 utc, but a few more were heard at the end on the low end of the
>MW band, just before signals fade away, around 1330-1345 utc. LWBC Far East
>Russians were very poor. Last night had very high static levels, and no
>TA/Trans Polar signals were heard, not even hets. MW produced a couple of
>weak hets.
>This morning, MW audio heard on 594, 639, 648, 693, 738, 774, 828, 1179,
>1566. PNG beacons 1725 GA and 1737 KUT were heard. Poor LWBC audio on 153,
>189, 279.

Steve, I was about to post my findings.  Absolutely, conditions were definitely poorer than yesterday.  In fact, I looked around last night about 0400 UTC for TAs and noticed only 6 hets, with 1215 being the best, but without audio.  I therefore went to bed.  Awoke at 11:55 UTC (0455 local) and immediately encountered some laptop problems which sure distracts from the task at hand!  Anyway, I still seem to have trouble with my scanner, but at least the Recall-Pro is working again.  I note that the A/K indices were not as good as yesterday's:  SF79 A2 K5.  Still an Asian morning with a total of 33 audios, but just not as spectacular as yesterday.  I did have fun with HLAZ on 1566 with absolutely superb reception at 13:38 UTC.  Wonderful to listen to what sounded like Gregorian chants.  I'll send a copy to Colin Newell for inclusion at www.dxer.ca.  Also, they had slow English, which I never heard before at 12:10 UTC.  I also heard Vietnam on 675 at a decent level at 13:30.  Thanks to Colin Newell for the reminder.  The Japanese were relatively strong, especially the NHK1 stations at the bottom of the band.  Again, the only DU was 4QR on 612 late in the morning after 13:30 although the X-band DU stations also appeared with weak hets at the same time, and possibly very weak audio on 1638 (that's unusual here).  The Russian LW were also poor with only 279 with decent audio.  Nothing on Mongolia on 164.  Nothing on the aero beacons from Alaska.  My own highlight was hearing NHK1 on consecutive frequencies of 567, 585 and 594.  I kept checking my radio to ensure it had changed frequencies.  KBS1 on 972 was also heard at excellent level at 13:05.

So the audios heard on MW this morning were:  558, 567, 585, 594, 612, 675, 738, 747, 774, 828 (again the best NHK2 performer, but overall these usual stations ie 747, 774 and 828 were not as strong as normal), 873 (also NHK2), 918, 936 (prob Anhui, China....thanks to Chuck Hutton and Patrick Martin for the help on this one), 963 (CRI Russian was way down this morning compared to yesterday), 972, 1044, 1053, 1125, 1134, 1179, 1206, 1215, 1242, 1269, 1287, 1296, 1305, 1323, 1368, 1386, 1503, 1566, 1638.

..........Walt Salmaniw, MD    Victoria, BC, Canada

PS:  My antenna of choice at the moment is again my Wellbrook K9AY.  This superb little unit provides excellent directionality.  This is especially noticeable in the evenings when strong stations are often completely nulled to the north, for example, and another equally strong station is heard to my south.  On the TP sessions, I more or less park on the W orientation.  Although a nice little antenna in itself, the ALA100 just doesn't perform nearly as well, except on LW.  I hope to erect some other MW aerials in the near future...for example EWEs or the like.