[IRCA] End of an era - the WHIC 1460 towers are down

[IRCA] End of an era - the WHIC 1460 towers are down

Those of you who were on the station tours at the 2004 NRC convention
will remember our stop at Rochester's WHIC 1460, with its three
self-supporting towers behind an office park.

At the time, we were told that the station might not be there much longer.

Today, it's not there. Sometime over the weekend, the three towers came
down, and with them a piece of my own radio history. Those were the
towers I saw blinking outside my bedroom window as a child, and they
were a big part of my early interest in radio towers. It's going to be
very strange driving around town and not seeing them there!

WHIC, which had been leasing the site, moved a few weeks ago to the
nearby site of WROC 950, where it's operating under STA with 4500 watts
day, 750 watts night, ND.

The old WHIC site had been built in 1947 for what was then WHEC, later
WAXC and WWWG. In the mid-80s, the 1947 transmitter building (which also
served briefly as studios for WWWG) was torn down and replaced with the
office park, and after that it was just a matter of time before the
towers were history, too.

I'll have some pictures up on fybush.com tomorrow...