Re: [IRCA] Recording DX

> *** You're going to be taking a receiver output of either 3.2 or 8
> ohms, and going to a line input with an impedance of 50k or more.
>
> I use a simple audio output transformer which has inputs of 3.2 and 8 (
> use whichever applies ) and outputs of 500, 1000, 2000 or more ohms -
> if you can do 5k or 10k so much better. But 2k will work just fine.

Lately I just use a twenty buck Radio Shack #270-054 "Audio System Ground
Loop Isolator" for any interface task.  The impedence match is usually just
to be sure there's enough voltage at the input so the levels are good.  With
a speaker output that's almost never an issue.

The input to a computer is usually set to match the Institute of Hi Fi (IHF)
specs of 1 volt into a 10k ohm load.  If a half volt or so of audio is
presented, the level will be fine.

One important function of the isolator or transformer you use is preventing
grond currents from appearing as hum on the audio.

I use there isolators at a number of radio stations, often in fairly
important places such as production rooms.  Never offended the "Golden Ears"
production people.  They should be more than good enough for DX archiving.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI