Re: [IRCA] KYMN

> Anyhow, the rules for power reductions by Class D AMs with PSSAs are so
> complex, they seem to me to be impossible to implement properly without
the
> use of computer control.

WRIB-1220 has five power levels for different times of the day.  In the 80's
they bought a transmitter from Nautel which had what I believe to be the
first five-level power controller.  I bought an Intermatic timer from
Grainger that's normally used for school bells and such during the day.
Every month I would change the timer for that month's power level
requirements.  It was in use when I left there in July.  That controller
also made it dead easy to set up that daily five minute power raise at 3am
for a defacto DX test.  No human effort required..

These days the common Burk remote control handles that.  Scripts can be run
through their interface program called AutoPilot.  WDDZ-550 has it's
day/night pattern change handled that way, as does WBET-1460.  Years ago we
all did it manually, but engineers were required in that era.

WPMZ-1110 is a daytimer, and the transmitter on/off is run manually by the
announcers.  On rare occasions they forget to pull the switch at signoff and
a dead carrier is left on.  I simply call in and shut it down.

Newer transmitters such as the Nautel Jazz 1000 have a computer power change
ability right in them.  If WDDZ was non-directional, I'd simply use the
Nautel controller to handle power change.

Most places are using something like the Burk, or one from another vendor.
The Grainger timer was a cheap way out in the 80's, and could still work
today.  However, that timer is now about a thousand bucks.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI