Re: [IRCA] Dial up

--- "R. F. Tetro" <rtetro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I am waiting for is for Verizon to begin offering their FIOS
> service in our neighborhood.  It?s like mainlining the internet.
> Depending on the tier of service you order, you can get up to 50 mbs
> download and 10 mbs upload.  They have it in many places in our
> community, but just haven?t wired it in my neighborhood.  My
> understanding is that its fiber rather than copper-fed.  Has anyone
> had
> experience with this yet?

They installed the fiber-optic mains here last summer. They also sent
around some sort of flyer at the time indicating what this would mean.
In our area, I got the drift that this was some kind of joint effort by
Verizon and Comcast. I'm not fond of the former, simply because half of
their techs who've been here over 20 years didn't know how to do
anything but splice wires and couldn't have trouble-shot anything if
their lives depended on it. But I despise the latter because their
greedy and completely-customer-insensitive. Service here for cable is
only Comcast and their rates are among the highest in the nation and
they offer no options to basic service other than enhanced...

I don't do enough downloading nor uploading to warrant any higher level
of DSL than I currently have, which is their second-tier, not the
basic. I forget the speed...

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]