[IRCA] 893 foot easterly BOG in Grafton WI

[IRCA] 893 foot easterly BOG in Grafton WI

I put down a 893 foot (measured) BOG at my lake front place in Grafton after
dinner during the all band GTG there Saturday and left it our all day and
night Sunday to DX. It is reasonably straight with a couple small bends, but
has about an 8 degree bend near the midpoint. The bearing from end to end is
about 93 degrees, or just a tiny bit south of East. With Lake Michigan being
90+ miles across in easterly directions, my reception from the east is
superb (although I think salt water rather than fresh would be better).

I'm too tired (almost no sleep in two nights) to go into much detail now,
but I definately feel (based on daytime observations) that 893 feet is
superior to to the perfectly straight 475 footer (97 deg) I've used several
times for the lower BCB band. F/B (unterminted is also better on the longer
BOG, although side nulls seem a couple dB worse (perhaps due to slight
bends). In the upper parts of BCB I am not convinced that this long BOG is
better than the shorter and note that when I tried almost 1100 feet ENE it
was worse high end and even midband than several hundred feet shorter.

A few DX highlights..CDT

Sat eve, (limited time due to hosting the big GTG)  570 WMCA new !, 820 MD
with numerous WTOP ID's well atop and loud, 1280 WADO NYC with SS BB well
atop. WLIB 1190 NY mixed slightly u/WOWO. WNTP 990 Philly with ID's 2059
basically alone and first time ever had on RS on night rig. Basically a big
pipeline towards NYC/Philly/DC areas. 1710 Pirate. I think Sat eve was
slightly AU since Ontario/PQ were poor.

Sunday Day.  530 WNMQ279 Holland MI (new for me) info TIS..100 miles away
p-f every word audible in LSB unless WRRD local had something extremely
sloppy (later I phased vs a // 600 footer and then Holland was fair and
clear of slop). I have not noted this TIS on the shorter BOG and it seemed
better on 893 ft then 600 feet.

710 WOR.. 730 miles..somewhat audible and IDable all day (thx to WGN IBOC
off) (WABC 770 was easier..but only audio traces make it thru WBBM's IBOC)

730 WJYM Ohio..254 miles and a big surprise a bit over WJMT days. 550 WGR
Buffalo quite a bit under WSAU but better than on the short BOG when I've
tried. 740 CWHO..over !! WRPQ on the long BOG thx to a better F/B than the
shorter one. Also 1010 CRFB reasonable clear daytimes over WSPT (once again
that was not the case on 475 feet) . 950 WWJ (blows Chicago's SS away) IBOC
strong enough to be quite noticable on 960 WSBT daytimes !

Sunday night..was fun !! Didn't have the pipeline towards 90-105 deg but had
a mix of stuff and then it got really good to Ontario/PQ and beyond.  1580
CKDO basically kills 1580 for DX towards the east as feared. The 3 French
Canadians on 610, 590, and 550 were in with 610 blasting away WIP. 1070 CBA
good at times. Some C&W on 780 mixing under WBBM (Coro also there) and some
oldies on 720 u/WGN mixing with something else at times...so Maritimes were
in and that alerted me to spend lots of time to 630 to try for CFCY b4 they
go to FM.

630..CFCO is a huge pest but can fade and when it did I logged WPRO RI for
the first time with several ID and ad strings between 2242 and 0130. Also in
there was bits of French talk from extremely rare CHLT...and the one that
got away...yeah the one with a few bits of C&W songs audible..and was
actually atop for almost a min but faded prior to the song's end..umm..you
guessed..I think I may have had CFCY..but it got away !!

600 WICC CT was in generally u/Ontario was Yankee's net. Just traces of WEEI
// WTIC with Red Sox net far u/ WGBU (later KOA QRM). I treid for WTAG 580
and WDEV 550 for Red Sox but no luck. 930 had oldies in there..and I spent
lots of time there. Fox Sports was WEOL OH (rather than hoped for NH) and
oldies/AC finally IDed as WIZR from NY (WBEN is not strong but is in there
as is WAUR)..oh well...I was hoping for CFBC on 930.

555 ZIZ was sometimes audible in 4KHz filter with Brit Island acc. M&W. 895
only a weak carrier.

837 Canaries/Spain logged for first time (have had France a few times)
getting past WHAS with SS around 2316 and then pips noted 2330 CDT. 1035
Portugal caught on a peak with a PP pop/rock song 2320 CDT.

1710 Pirate was Brooklyn with rlg stuff in EE and then stuff in foreign lang
and then music.. no trace of Boston area Haitien this time.

73 KAZ  noting he should take a month off and just DX from Grafton WI