Re: [IRCA] FCC to consider FM translators for AM stations?

Re: [IRCA] FCC to consider FM translators for AM stations?

Rene,

Yes, I totally agree. AM is dying, but it does have to do with the QRM.
A station right here on the Oregon coast could not cover its listeners a
few years back, even with 10 KW days, so they had to boost to 50 KW to
get over the noise floor. This is powerline noise. It can be very bad on
the coast in certain areas. Not bad right here, but other areas it can
wipe out locals. Too bad the FCC did not take up the job to require all
of  electronics to have good filtering in it. Allowing light dimmers,
touch lamps, computers, etc that run so much RF. No wonder AM radio has
problems. Plus there are a lot of power companies that do not have a
crew to repair bad powerlines. If powerlines were underground more that
also would help.
I drive around Portland and I have a 1-5 KW station on the car radio,
and in places the buzz is so bad to totally wipe the signal out. How can
a station compete if you can't  even hear it?  IBOC is just going to
make the noise worse. Sometimes I get the feeling that some want AM to
die off so the band can be used for something else.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin

Come to Seaside Oregon for the 2006 IRCA Convention! It will be held at
the Comfort Inn on September 22-24,2006.