Re: [IRCA] Yes, SAH!

I meant to mention, in the last post, that frequency measurement back in the '60s was not quite so easy as it is today. There were a few DX'ers -- Nelson among them -- who made use of an electronic frequency measurement machine that got to the nearest cycle ... I recall its designation (correct me, Bob, if I'm wrong) was the BC-221.

Several of us were in the room at 19 Irma Ave. ... I think maybe it was an evening during one of Foxy's visits to Watertown ... when Gordon demonstrated both the frequency measurement capabilities of the BC-221, the directionality of the Altazimuth Loop and the signal slicing capabilities of the three mechanical filters he'd installed on his receiver. There was a Colombian less than 100 herz away from WWVA-1170, and Nelson was able to bring each signal to clear, near QRM-free readability. Maybe not that big a deal today, but in 1967, it was remarkable ... He taught a lot of people how to do it.

Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon