[IRCA] WDDZ-550

For those in the southern New England area, WDDZ-550 is on slightly reduced
power for the next few days.  It's on the backup transmitter which I have
running through a resistor network.  That helps isolate the transmitter from
severe antenna disruptions like having a flood two feet up the tower..

Their main transmitter was damaged in a weak thunderstorm today.  The cause
was a factory glitch where a ground wire was routed too close to a part of
the output circuitry.  It arced over and started a small fire inside.
Instead of simply sending me a part to fix it, they want the whole
transmitter sent back so it can be repaired and some upgrades applied.  I've
been in radio a *long* time, but this is a first..  Fortunately it's only a
1kw unit, and pretty light.  Were it an emergency, I'd be on my way up to
the factory in Bangor, Maine right now with the transmitter in the back of
my truck.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI

... I am glad I'm here and not..'somewhere else'.