Re: [IRCA] AFN

On 7/5/06 6:11 PM, "Stephen Hawkins" <ng0g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I remember sitting in the radio shack of my submarine copying the FOX
> broadcast for just about the entire year of 1968..

Man, what excitement! CW for life.

I was on subs and later destroyers as I was ASW.

USS CARON DD970 is where I was and I went on the top deck with a Sony ICF
6500W. I heard the USS STARK was hit by an Exocet missile. I went to Fox div
because I was LPO and got them on deck up there and we listened to the
report over CBS news via AFRTS.

The word went like wildfire all over the ship about the attack. The captain
was furious! He was screaming at the Communicator and RMs about not keeping
secrets as he got the message as eyes only. Man, you could hear the old man
screaming about over half the ship.

When he came out of the room, I asked the Captain if I could have a quick
word with him. I told him it was on AFRTS and CBS news. He hardly could
believe it but he listened to the news and heard it. The RM's hides were
barely saved. He sure thought someone said something about it.

It was something to laugh about with the RMs over a cold one after it
happened.

I used to listen to baseball early in the morning out in the Med or in the
Persian Gulf back in the day. Lots of people would show on the top deck near
the CIWS gun to listen.

Something I still remember thanks to AFRTS. Lots of guys, I guess, will
never know things like this while they are out at sea.

Kevin