[IRCA] EUROPE & KKOL

I just returned from a week each in Copenhagen and Paris.
Kalundborg-1062 and the Swede on 1179 were about it daytimes on MW in
Copenhagen. At night I heard Chinese on 1557 around 11pm local time a
couple of nights; presumably this is the Lithuanian. In Paris, the
locals on 585 738 864 1062 1314 and 1575 were noted. A weak French
signal on 1080 was also noted days but it was not identified. Paris
is listed with 5kw but that seems unlikely with 1kw on 1062 also
listed and at good level (we were actually about 10 air miles SW of
the Eiffel Tower). 1062 had very erratic hours (a 4:45pm s/on was
noted) but the carrier was left on when there was no audio.
Receptions were on a bare DX-398.

All Paris FMs had RDS so were readily identifiable on the 398. They
are spaced every 400kHz (as opposed to our 800). In Copenhagen, it
looks like the private FMs have a 160w max and share frequencies a
lot so RDS IDs were elusive.

Meanwhile, back home, I spotted the four new 184' towers of KKOL in a
wetland area of property owned by the Port of Tacoma. A "conditional
permit" for the towers and an 800 sq. ft. building was posted. The
building wasn't up yet. Some giant cranes are about a mile east of
the towers. The KHHO towers are about a mile SSE of KKOL's; both sets
are about 5 miles from my home. KKOL however has 50kw and I will be
in their major lobe at night (30kw N as I recall). I am not looking
forward to the move (to put it mildly).

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop