From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Stewart, Joseph R
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 8:23 PM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Flies & radio

Eric Floden copied this from the Globe & Mail...
"In the fall of 1976, flies attacked Canadian culture when a swarm of the
insects knocked a CBC outlet, Toronto radio station CBL, off the air several
times one morning. Technicians retrieved two bushels of dead flies from the
transmitter."

That's funny, as we just had something vaguely similar happen at KSMU... our
satellite reception suddenly went wonky Thursday morning.  Seems a colony
(or whatever they are) of paper wasps was busily building a nest in the feed
horn of our main dish--the one that was live to air at the time!  Apparently
this sort of thing happens a lot, according to the folks at the NPR
satellite depot, though we hadn't seen this problem in a number of years.

Randy Stewart
Springfield MO