Re: [IRCA] KTRB Farewell to Modesto

On a Monday morning in January of 1973, a DX test was scheduled from WSBS-860 in Great Barrington, Massachusetts from 1:30 to 2:00 EST.

I listened until 1:40 or so, didn't hear it, and left, planning to return a few minutes before the end of the test.  Today, of course, I'd spend the whole half-hour parked on 860, but in those days you were reluctant to spend too much time on one frequency on a Monday morning, for fear you'd miss stuff happening elsewhere on the dial.

I returned to 860 around 1:55, and at 2:00, was treated to a sign-off from KTRB, including a mention of returning tomorrow morning at 5:30.  I think XEMO in Tijuana was about the only interference.  Never heard KTRB again, and still need WSBS.

One of my best catches ever (only a kilowatt at night back then) - sorry to see it fade into history.

Steve Francis
Alcoa, Tennessee