[IRCA] Silent, rest periods?

Do AM stations ever intentionally drop power during the day and sit with a
reduced power, open carrier for half an hour or so?

I found 1040 WLVJ Boyton Beach sitting with a reduced carrier and no audio
between 1700 and 1730.  Then right at 1730 the carrier popped up to full
strength and audio programming commenced.

It would be easy to understand if they were totally off, or were sitting
with a full power open carrier, but this seems quite strange.  I suppose it
could have been some sort of unscheduled maintenance.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL
[Ten-Tec RX-320D; LFE H-800; JPS ANC-4 Noise Canceler; GAP DSP]