[IRCA] KRCN probably cheating

I happened to be in Longmont this evening and checked on the KRCN night
site. I stopped by before sunset and took some photos that I will add to
my web page in the next day or two. The tower is a large, grounded-base,
self-supporting cellular telephone tower with a slant-wire Delta feed
for the AM transmitter.

I returned to the site well after sunset. At 9:10 PM local time (0010
Tuesday EST) the night site was still not on the air. They were still
transmitting from the day site and probably still on day power. When I
arrived at home 30 miles away they were still very clear on my car radio
with the antenna completely removed. So I am certain they were not on
night power which is only 111 watts. I guess this explains why they are
being heard so widely at night.

There is also a problem with the night tower obstruction lighting. The
lights come on for about 3 minutes then go dark for about 10 minutes.
This is especially interesting since the tower is less than a block from
the FAA regional air route traffic control center.

Patrick Griffith
Westminster, CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/