Re: [IRCA] Bandscan SE FL

Pete,

After you asked about 990 WMYM, the Miami Disney outlet, and whether I
could hear it, I began checking more closely.  While the splatter from 980
WHSR does cover 990, a comparison with similar Miami stations also at 5kW
would lead me to think I should hear something from them.  Both 560 WQAM
and 610 WIOD are 5kW like WMYM, and come in strong here.

I tuned as best I could to eliminate the splatter and still heard nothing
from WMYM.  Even in CW mode there is only the faintest carrier, as there is
on all MW BCB channels.  Based on the FCC DB I must assume WMYM is on the
air, but you couldn't prove it by me.

Then I checked the patterns on Radio-Locator and think I see why I don't
hear them.  WMYM has a very narrow beam aimed straight east out to sea,
blasting Miami but leaving Boca in the fringe region of their daytime
pattern.  Both WQAM and WIOD have much more open patterns that put Boca in
their local coverage areas.

Apparently this pattern is to protect the Disney 50kW signal out of
Orlando, also on 990 from WDYZ.  Neither covers the region between Port
Saint Lucie and Boca Raton.  I assume this is a sort of buffer zone between
the two 990's.  Disney has 1600 WMNE 5kW Riviera Beach, with a pattern that
pretty well fills that gap.  So, the most important thing is, I am not
deprived of Disney.

Thanks for bring this up, gave me something fun to do despite the static.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL