[IRCA] Palstar receiver

Recently I bought a Palstar R30CC receiver through eBay.  This is the one
with two Collins mechanical IF filters.

I've installed it in my truck.  I used a Radio Shack power isolator for the
12vdc hookup, and have run the audio through the Blaupunkt so the truck
speakers can be used.  For antennas, I have the two copper tube loops
mounted at 90 degrees to each other.  A two position coax switch is used to
select between them.  I use two DX Engineering RPA-1 preamplifiers in series
for enough gain.  Most auto radios have a very high gain RF amp to
compensate for the small antenna.  While the R30CC is quite sensitive, it
still needs the preamps.  One wasn't quite enough.

I'm very pleased with it.  The lack of a noise blanker hasn't been a
problem, as the loops don't pick up anywhere near as much ignition static as
a whip.

The ability to tune in sub-KHz increments, plus select USB or LSB puts it a
good level up over even the best car radio.  Stuff that is not possible on
the Blaupunkt is fine on the Palstar.  The large frequency display is just
fine, and it can be seen at a glance.  Gotta keep the eyes on the road while
driving, but the thing tunes well enough by ear that it hasn't been a
problem.

On splattery locals, tuning a couple KHz away from the offender works well.
WABC-770 can be heard next to WSKO-790 which is a messy thing.  Daytime I
can listen to WLIE-540 from Long Island right next to WDDZ-550 in
Providence.  It's not something I would call entertainment level, but it's
certainly intelligible.  WDDZ is clean on adjacents, which helps.

I have noticed no significant intermod, even with all that gain on the
input.  There are a couple of places where there's a weak mixing product,
but the Palstar attenuator doesn't really bring them down much.  I'm not
convinced the problem is in the radio.

Longwave beacons are good, even with the fairly wide SSB filter.  A narrow
CW filter is best for beacon chasing.  Shortwave is good, especially on the
lower frequencies.  The loops have a rolloff of sensitivity as you go above
MW.  These antennas on the CB band aren't very good compared to a cut to
length whip.

All in all, this has earned a permanent spot in the truck.  I really don't
use the Blaupunkt AM section any more.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI