Re: [IRCA] How local IS WBZ?

--- CHARLES HUTTON <charlesh3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pat:
>
> I'll have to disagree.
>
> (1) All digital IBOC (assuming the same power as
> currently used for analog)
> will cover way more area than analog. "How much
> more" is the question. Can
> you point me to any technical analysis that says all
> digital IBOC will have  less coverage?

We don't know yet  the real answer. The answer is yes
during the daytime with absolutely no interference.
After that all bets are off. At night it may be a real
thrill....<ahem!>

Also, manufacturers need to design a good receiver.
That has yet to occur.

> (2) There's nothing in the IBOC definition that
> allows or even has a
> mechanism to prevent a user from listening to any
> particular channel based  on the user's location.

That "WE" know of.

>You're allowed to listen to any  and all IBOC
channels you can receive.

All it takes is a digital flag and an interface to a
GPS. I expect analog will be outlawed. I expect that
it will be made illegal to own an analog
receiver...under the name of National Security. Pooh
pooh now, but write it down.

> Chuck

Powell

w4opw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx