[IRCA] Radio Heritage Foundation News #11

[IRCA] Radio Heritage Foundation News #11

For those interested:
---------
Pacific Radio News
April-May 2006
Issue 11
News from the Radio Heritage Foundation

In this issue:
Australian Government supports digitization project
Tahiti Ted introduces audio online
Kiwi FM bailout ignores real radio heritage
Pacific Plan studies broadcasting
Emil Voigt and 2KY series now online
7HO Hobart's Original
HCJB Quito 75th anniversary
Australian Radio Listener Clubs
Meg McSpeerin's 2CH Women's League
Smashing Records at AFRS Sapporo [Japan]
PAL Radio Guide FAQ

Australia Supports Digitization Project
---------------------------------------
The Australian High Commission in Wellington [NZ] has made a grant
towards digitization of Australian radio heritage items held in New
Zealand. The grant will be used for accelerating the roll-out of the
'Long Lost Australian Radio Stars' series which features
personalities, programs and stations from the mid-1940's. It will
also be used to start digitising an early 1930's collection of
Australian radio memorabilia in our archives. All the items will be
available for free access.

Tahiti Ted gives audio the OK!
------------------------------
Our friendly new character 'Tahiti Ted' will increasingly be seen
around the website as we progressively introduce audio clips from our
collections. Based on artwork used by Radio Tahiti some 30 years ago,
the audio icon is easy to find and use.

Kiwi FM bailout ignores real radio heritage
The NZ government has provided commercial FM frequencies worth
millions of dollars [if available in the market] to a Canadian owned
commercial radio network, as well as funding via NZ On Air for hours
of Kiwi music programs over the station during the coming year.
  At the same time, the Minister of Broadcasting continues to refuse
to meet with the Radio Heritage Foundation, or discuss how the
government will help the non-profit organization preserve, protect
and provide free online access to even more endangered aspects of New
Zealand's radio heritage than just one failed FM station. [see: Media
Releases].

Pacific Plan studies radio broadcasting
---------------------------------------
Suva [Fiji] based Pacific Plan secretariat says it will undertake a
study into all aspects of radio broadcasting in the Pacific, an area
it says has been neglected for too long.
 The study will look at how convergence of new technologies can be
used to upgrade broadcasting services in the region. Despite our many
requests for information, the Pacific Plan [mainly funded by
Australia and NZ] secretariat can't tell us anything more about the
study, nor about membership of the ICT Working Group and other groups
involved that will have a major say in how the regions broadcasting
future will be dictated.
  Broadcasters in the region interested in knowing how the study
might affect their current and future operations, future competition,
program restrictions and other possible outcomes of the study, are
invited to register their interest with us. We'll be glad to share
what information comes our way. [Write: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Emil Voigt and 2KY series now online
------------------------------------
Emil Voigt established the world's first labor run radio station with
2KY Sydney in the 1920's. He went on to found the Australian
Federation of Commercial Broadcasting Stations.
  He also worked in business and the labor movement across England,
Australia, the USA and New Zealand, bringing a remarkable global
perspective to his activities. He was also a Gold Medal winner at the
1908 London Olympics.
  Emil made major contributions towards sports training in Europe,
and in NZ where he spent the remaining days of his life. Written by
Emil's granddaughter, Robin, this five-part series is a unique look
at early radio broadcasting in Australia, the clashes with big
business [in particular the Marconi controlled AWA company] and the
efforts of one man to give the global labor movement a voice on the
new fangled airwaves.

7HO Hobart's Original
---------------------
The latest in the 'Long Lost Australian Radio Stars Series' features
Denice Hopwood, Shelagh Owen, Brian Hodgeman, John Moore and many
other 1940's era personalities from 7HO.
  The 7HO Women's Association and 7HO Pals Club also get a mention,
and there are plenty of photos, as well as an early 1960's 7HO radio
jingle 'My Kind of Town' to enjoy whilst reading the article.

HCJB Quito 75th Anniversary
---------------------------
Missionary shortwave radio station HCJB began broadcasts from Ecuador
in 1931, and just recently ended its English language broadcasts and
began demolishing its tower systems.
  We've got the first part of a monthly series of salutes to HCJB now
online, taken from the stations 25th anniversary booklet. Look out
for more images and memories in the coming months.

Australian Radio Listener Clubs
-------------------------------
In the 1925-65 period, over 100 radio clubs flourished at radio
stations across Australia. They were a social phenomena, catering for
women and children listeners.
  We've shone the spotlight on over 100 of these clubs, dug out old
photos of 'Uncle Richard' from 5AD's Kangaroo Club and much more
besides. At one time, the Kangaroo Club had 65,000 members, and other
clubs, both big and small, had a big impact on Australia's social
life. Polish your old badges, and check out our introductory guide to
the Koalas, Kangaroos, Kiwis and many other radio listener clubs.
[Coming soon]

Meg McSpeerin and the 2CH Women's League
Another blockbuster of a radio listener club from the 1930's was
hosted by Meg over Sydney's 2CH. Thanks to Meg's granddaughter, we've
got an inside look at how the Women's League ran, its successes, its
activities such as the annual Christmas Party at the Trocadero and
much more.
  And, of course, some great photos of the Christmas Party, the
Coolangatta Train Excursion....plus you'll find more about 2CH in our
existing '2CH Sydney' story. [Coming soon]

Smashing Records at AFRS Sapporo
--------------------------------
In 1949, Dan Taylor found himself working at the AFRS radio station
in Sapporo [Japan] and involved in the March of Dimes radiothon.
  This hilarious story, with photos to match, tells the story of the
record breaking 127 hour radio marathon that followed. Smashing
Records? In more ways than one. Check out the photos to see how DJ's
handled pledges and dealt with listener's most hated records!
[Coming soon]

PAL Radio Guide FAQ
-------------------
1. What does PAL mean?
[Pacific Asian Log]
2. What countries are included?
[Afghanistan in the west across to Alaska in the north, Hawaii in the
east and Antarctica in the south]
3. What kind of information is included?
[station callsign or name, location, frequency, transmitter power,
hours of operation, on-air slogan, program details and more]
4. How many stations are listed?
[Over 6000 in both the mediumwave [AM] and shortwave guides]
5. How often is it updated?
[The AM guide is updated as close to monthly as we can, the shortwave
guide with the 6 monthly seasonal frequency changes....and sometimes
we'll do them more often if the need arises]
6. Who uses them?
[Everyone from radio listeners to radio engineers, frequency
planners, government agencies, even advertising agencies]
7. Who do I contact with changes?
[Just write:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
8. Have you got more information about these stations?
[Yes! Right now, we only include basic information on a free access
basis. More detailed versions will progressively become available.]
9. What about FM?
[Work is currently underway on the FM Radio Guide]
10. What's the 'NZ @a Glance' Guide?
[A basic guide to all New Zealand AM stations with radio market,
format and brand information for those wanting a quick summary]

News to Use
-----------
Feel free to use any of these items, to post to any user groups you
think may be interested, and please pass on to friends and
colleagues! New material is frequently added to the website.

The Radio Heritage Foundation is a registered not-for-profit
organization dedicated to the preservation, protection and promotion
of all aspects of radio heritage from around the Pacific.

We are supported by individuals and businesses who share our vision.
PAYPAL donations [using VISA, Mastercard etc] towards operational
costs are welcome at www.radioheritage.net. Volunteers very welcome.

Radio Heritage Foundation
PO Box 14339
Wellington, New Zealand