[IRCA] CBRU

Hi Everyone:

This story is gonna take a while, so please bear with me. As a rule I don't AM DX this time of year due to high noise levels, low signal levels and an ever decreasing number of hours of darkness. But after reading Deane McIntyre's announcement about CBRU-1270 going off the air July 24 I figured if I was gonna hear this, now was the time. Of course also reading that CHAT was now officially silent made this quest more than possible.

With only two antennas set up to use year round (their coax feedlines are underground) I set up my tape/timer combo on 1270. First two nights I heard multiple ID's from KTFI, and nothing that sounded like a CBC station. So yesterday evening I hauled out my 200 foot length of coax from it's summer storage and hooked it up to my 750' east/west longwire with the coax on the ground. I figured if I was gonna hear CBRU, this would be the antenna I would hear it on. Accordingly I set the tape/timer combo up again and hoped!

The first ID I heard was KLXX-Mandan, ND. with a "Super Talk 1270, Mandan, Bismarck" ID. New for me and not bad at all for 250W. No call letters heard but definite enough for me to count it as a new one. Three hours later at 04:00MDT I heard several mentions of CBC and the start of the CBC news. As CBRU is the only CBC station listed as being on 1270, it has to be them. Second new one. Then at 05:00 I heard someone announce the "BN Report." This is a Canadian news service used by many stations across the country, with only 2 listed as being on 1270, CJCB-Sydney, NS and CJTN-Trenton, ON. 05:00MDT is way past CJCB's local sunrise which occurred more than two hours earlier, whereas CJTN's sunrise was only an hour earlier, so it could have been the. Tantalizing enough to force me to try again tonight.

Thanks to Deane, Pat and Nick for helping to make this possible.

Mike in St Isidore AB with AOR 7030, Quantum Phaser, EWE's of 120 & 100' and a longwire of 750'.