[IRCA] All in a day's work...

May I indulge in a little online bragging?  This isn’t DX related, but it’s definitely radio-related (for me)…

This seems to be the year for me to receive awards for my work at KSMU… on Friday 4/28 I was surprised with the “Ozzie” award, given annually by the Springfield Regional Arts Council to an individual who is said to “personify” the arts in the community, has demonstrated a long-term commitment to go “above and beyond” in promoting the local arts etc.

And this year, I’m it!   I’ve been at this job (first “Music Director,” later “Arts Producer”) for 28 years now, and I’ve made it a part of the job to do an extensive weekly “Arts News” event-and-interview program, as well as numerous in-depth reports each year about issues, crises, etc. facing the local arts groups.  I can’t tell you how cool it is—and how humbling--to be recognized by the community for what is, in one sense, just “part of the job” for me, but in another sense has always been my major passion: getting out the word about the thriving performing-and-visual-arts offerings in this area.  S.O.P. for these awards is to surprise/ambush the recipient by somehow contriving to get them to show up at the awards banquet… and I have to say, everyone involved—my wife, my colleagues at the station, the Arts Council folks—gave Oscar-worthy performances in keeping this from me (and I’m not the easiest person in the world to keep a secret from!).   True, it’s only a “local” honor, but I’m thrilled!

Also, we just heard that the feature I did a few months ago about IBOC, HDTV etc. is one of the finalists in the “Special Programs” category in the Missouri Broadcasters Association annual awards, along with features by two other KSMU producers.  The nice thing about the MBA awards is that it’s not “winner take all”—in each category they give a first-place plaque, but every finalist gets a “certificate of merit/honorable mention” plaque as well, so no one who’s a finalist goes home empty-handed.  But it’s been two or three years since I last won anything from the MBA, so I’m very pleased with this as well.  It’s neat to go head-to-head with producers from major commercial and non-commercial stations in the state, like KMOX!

Anyway, sorry to take up so much bandwidth on this, but I thought you folks would like to know.

Randy Stewart

Springfield MO