[IRCA] 960 WPBI on air.

After an extended period since they were last heard with test transmissions
on 3/17/06, 960 WPBI North Palm Beach, FL, is back on the air at 4:25 pm
ET, Apr 17 2006.

They are using a slogan "WPBI North Palm Beach - Real country, pure
country, classic country, your country" or similar.  Needless to say, they
are playing country.  Early reports on Radio-Locator were that WPBI would
be nostalgia, back when nothing more than open carriers were being
heard.  Now that they are broadcasting, R-L has no entry at all.  Maybe
this is nostalgic country?  I would guess the nostalgia format may have
been a premature posting.

The FCC DB still lists WPBI as with a construction permit.  There has been
no mention of testing as in the past, but so far there has been only music
with occasional ID slogans, no advertising or DJ talk.  The music selection
is definitely better than what they used while doing test transmissions
last month.

Their signal is marginally listenable with local QRM; weak, and even that
only thanks to my antenna tweaking.  According to the FCC pattern plot,
their signal is beamed to the northwest, pretty much away from me.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL
[Ten-Tec RX-320D; LFE H-800, M-601; Quantum Phaser]