Re: [IRCA] Off topic /Computer monitors

Patrick,

Go to www.epinions.com and see what they have to offer there.  You will need specific model numbers for each, as manufacturers usually have multiple models in each size (Cadillacs down to Yugos).  Links will typically go to Amazon or some other retailer that also includes user reviews.

If I remember correctly, screen size for monitors and TVs are measured diagonally.  If that's the case, consider the vertical dimension of a widescreen compared to a normal aspect ratio.  With a widescreen input such as a 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 movie, both aspect ratios would be comparable.  With a regular (or full) screen aspect ratio of 1.33:1, a proper presentation would have vertical black bars on either side to show the movie correctly.  Alternatively, it could do what my aunt did with her 60-inch and variably stretch a object depending on where it appeared on the screen so as to fill the screen.  It made every person in a movie bloom and shrink depending on if they were in the center or on a side...it was like all the variations of "Shallow Hal" at the same time AND enough to make me walk away from the 60-inch and watch movies on my computer.

Just for the record, I shut off my 20-inch Dell (also known as Mongo because it weighed 70 pounds) and put in a 19-inch Sony LCD with a standard aspect ratio.  I am much happier 95% of the time and have never felt the need to change to a widescreen and pay the premium for what's fashionable.

Mike

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

I am about ready to join the computer age. hi. I was given a pretty
decent computer with Windows XP. The only thing I need is the monitor.
It has a very good DVD/CD burner and good video quality I was told.
Living on the Oregon Coast, we do not have the greatest choice. We have
no Circuit City, Good Guys, or even Walmart. We have Fred Meyer &
Costco. Fred Meyer is ok, but Costco has the greatest choice. Since I
can play DVDs on it, I thought why not spend a few extra bucks and by a
19" widescreen. I have room for a LED widescreen, but not a CRT. Costco
has: a Sceptre 20" widescreen for $349.00 and a Envision 19" widescreen
for $269.00. If I drive to Walmart 70 miles away, they have a 19"
Proview for $248.
But the don't want to do that if I don't have to. Does anyone have any
knowledge of the Envision? Thanks.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin

Come to Seaside Oregon for the 2006 IRCA Convention! It will be held at
the Comfort Inn on September 22-24,2006.