[IRCA] KCKN 1020khz Roswell, NM DX Test Results

[IRCA] KCKN 1020khz Roswell, NM DX Test Results

Thanks to a late season, short notice DX Test from KCKN, New Mexico
was added to the logs of DX'ers across the country! For those needing a QSL
from this test, you can send in reports to the very DX-friendly staff of
KCKN
at:

KCKN
PO Box 220
Roswell, NM 88202-0220

The station has asked that DX'ers who e-mailed their reports re-send
them along with a postal mailing address. The station plans to mail
out QSL cards for all reports!

kckn@xxxxxxxxxxx

Again, our sincere thanks to Don Niccum, Jerry Kiefer, and the staff of KCKN
for one of the most widely received tests in several seasons!

Martin Foltz of Mission Viejo, CA was the first to report reception of the
test. He nulled local KTNQ to hear Roswell's powerhouse. Next up, Les
Rayburn in Birmingham, Alabama heard the station switch to their
day pattern and give a clear voice ID just after the top of the hour.

Jim Renfrew of Byron, NY reported hearing the sweeps and Morse
Code starting at :17 minutes past the hour. New Mexico #2 in his
log! Patrick Martin of Seaside, OR pulled in the test signals, as
did Tom Jasinksi of Shorewood, IL, Bill Harms of Elkridge, MD,
and Saul Chernos of Burnt River, Ontario, Canada.

Bill Block heard the test "very strong" from his shack in Prescott Valley,
Arizona. Doug Smith in Nashville, TN had to battle thunderstorms,
power outages, and KDKA to pull in his first logging from New Mexico.

Mike Stonebridge in St. Isidore, AB added the second Canadian logging,
hearing the sweep and codes clearly despite strong slop from 1010 CBR.
Also hearing the test was Steve Ratzlaff in Oregon, the editor of the
DX Test web site, Brandon Jordan from his home in Memphis, TN, and
Mike Hawkins in California.

Dan Riordan used the Drake R8B and a Palomar Loop to pull in the tests
from his shack in Sherwood, Oregon, near Portland. The birthplace of
the Atom Bomb, Los Alamos, NM is the stomping ground of DX'er
Mike Westfall who reported hearing the test despite a little QRM
from KTNQ.

John Hunter of Rossville, GA was overjoyed to add his first logging of
a New Mexico station despite thunderstorms and lots of interference from
KDKA. Bob Foxworth used only a "barefoot" DX-398 in the kitchen to
null KDKA and pick out the test tones quite clearly from Tampa,
Florida.

Neil Kazaross used his famous BOG (beverage on the ground) antennas
to log a new one. The nearby thunderstorms even caused a small fire
in his neighborhood when lightning stuck a neighbor's home. Despite
the fire truck sirens, Neal stuck to the headphones to pull in the test
from Illinois.

Doug Pifer of Albany, OR used a Drake R8B and a Kiwa Loop to
pull in the test. Brett Saylor also used a Drake receiver and an EWE
antenna to pull in the test, reporting it about "equal with KDKA" at
times. What makes this remarkable is that Brett is in Central PA!

James Niven heard the test, "bigger than life" in Moody, Texas, while
Bruce Winkleman had more of a fight with the QRM from KDKA but
still managed to log the test easily in Tulsa, OK.

New Mexico was a new state in the logbook of Greg Coniglio of Alden,
NY, along with many other DX'ers. Dave Pyatt of Burlington, ON used
a NRD-545 and a four foot box loop to log this over KDKA, while Rick
Turner of Bemidji, MN used a Select-A-Tenna 541 to good effect.

Also logging the test was Christos Rigas of Wood Dale, IL. New
Mexico was a new state for him as well (#47!). Ace technical whiz
Mark Connelly used a Drake R8A, and a dual-feedline "flag" antenna
along with his homebrew DXP-6 phasing unit to receive the test
in Billerica, MA.

Others pulling in this widely heard test included Scott Fybush of
Rochester, NY, Marc DeLorenzo in Cape Cod, MA, and Barry
McLarnon of Ottawa, Ontario.

Another notable logging was that of Ron Gitschier in Palm Coast
FL, who managed to hear his first New Mexican station using
only a stock Radio Shack DX-398 and a RS loop sitting on
top of his car in the driveway. James Beer of Houlton, WI
heard the test using the popular Quantum Q-Stick antenna.

Joe Miller added Michigan to the long list of states hearing this test,
when he pulled in the Code and sweep tones from his shack in Troy.
Others hearing the test included Art Peterson of Richmond, CA,
Curtis McMenamin of California, and Frank Aden of Boise, ID.

Michael Procop added state #44 to his log from his shack in Bedford,
Ohio, and Dave Hochfelder heard the string of "VVV's" followed by
the station ID using a Drake R8B in Highland Park, NJ.

Bob Galerstein of Monroe, NY reported that the "Sci-Fi" tones
got out well...a comment that is echoed in many reports. They allowed
Tom Jones of Mason, NH to put a new state into his log book as well.

Others who were successful included Richard Line of Sterling Heights, MI,
and Gerry Bishop of Niceville, FL.

Russ Johnson reported his amazement at hearing the test from his home
in Lexington, NC. It's New Mexico #1 for his log too.

Into every DX test, a little rain must fall--and this one was no exception.
Among those
who tried for the test without success was Bruce Collier of York, PA who
simply
could not overcome nearby powerhouse KDKA to hear the test. Also
disappointed
was Randy Stewart of Springfield, MO who overslept despite sitting an alarm
clock for the event.

Russ Edmunds of Blue Bell, PA also had trouble with KDKA and the familiar
Radio Reloj station in Cuba.

Another sleepy DX'er was Bert New of Watkinsville, GA who was especially
sad to sleep through the alarm, having never logged New Mexico before. He
hopes Jerry and Don will be willing to repeat the test in the fall or
Winter months. (We hope so too!)

SOAPBOX

This is New Mexico #1 for me from eastern MA.
-Mark Connelly, Billerica, MA

Hey, there's the sweeps and code at 0217.  Wow!  NM #2 I presume!
-Jim Renfrew,Byron, NY

It is my second NM station here in Maryland. I heard KOB years ago.
-Bill Harms,Elkridge, MD

Signal is weak under very dominant KDKA. NM #2 here,
guess which is the other one!
-Saul Chernos,Burnt River, ON

KCKN making it in to N.E. MN quite well at 0117 with sweep tones and code
I.D. and more sweep tones. Very surprised how good the signal is at times.
-Paul LaFreniere, Grand Marais, MN

NM #2 here, I have KPAR-1190 Albuquerque (now KXKX-1190) verified back
in 1978.
-Brandon Jordan, Memphis, TN

Despite the severe storm QRN and KDKA I managed to pull in the DX
test . Sometimes the sweep tones were quite loud for the distance.
Thanks to Don, Jerry, and Les for giving me my first NM station!
-John Hunter, Rossville, GA

Heard at 2:17am EDT with sweep tones, almost equal with KDKA and Reloj
on the E-W EWE antenna, thanks to those who made this possible!
-Brett Saylor, Central PA

Thanks to those who helped me to get a NEW STATE!!!!
-Greg Coniglio, Alden, NY

Sweep tones heard underneath KDKA, along with an UNID OLD station. No audio
or code heard. Surprising how sweep tones can stand out. (RT-MN)
-Rick Turner, Bemidji, MN

I wasn't expecting to hear much of anything, with only a McKay Dymek DA5
amplified ferrite rod to try to null KDKA, so even the sweep tones are a
bit of a surprise to me! Thanks, Don. Thanks, Les. Fun test!
-Scott Fybush, Rochester, NY

I phoned Jerry the second I heard his sweep tones at his home in New Mexico.
He had just returned from the station to flip it to 10kw NDA for the
test.This is my first ever log of NM!
-Ron Gitschier, Palm Coast, FL

 have heard 10 FM stations from New Mexico but that state would
never show up on AM, until now!  Many thanks to those that arranged
and conducted the test!  This was a much needed log.
-Michael Procop, Bedford, Ohio

Thanks to Les and to KCKN for the test - received in New York's Hudson
Valley. The sci-fi sounding tones got out well, the code almost as well.
New state - tape in the mail tomorrow.
-Bob Galerstein, Monroe, NY

Amazing!  Both the sweep tones and the cw cut through several times during
the 2 hour period.  I have one absolutely great cw ID that made the trip.
Put me down for NM, Les!  Thanks a lot for arranging this.
My first NM and I think my furthest west (need to check).
-Russ Johnson, Lexington, NC

Thanks again to Don, Jerry, and everyone in the "Land of Enchantment" for
giving so many of us back-East this much needed state! This has been
a wonderful season for DX Tests, and we appreciate all the stations who
tested for us--thanks for making 2005-2006 so memorable.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867